Thursday’s edition of the Burlington Union once again illustrates that it isn’t worth the paper it is printed on.
It is not that the local coverage is about the size of a postage stamp or even that the editor’s have been to numerous to even remember the names of that make me cranky. It is simply how lazy the management of the paper has become and what little standards they seem to apply.
My case in point is a letter to the editor that is entitled “Mr. Entrenched”. The letter is a negative endorsement of Al Fay for re-election to the board of selectmen. Although I don’t profess to remember every campaign letter written over the years I can’t seem to recall any election in which letters were allowed that attacked an individual.
Not only is the letter filled with complete falsehoods regarding double dipping and insurance coverage but it is written by someone who is neither a registered voter nor apparently a current resident. If he doesn’t vote here or live here why does it matter what he thinks? Even a cursory examination of the writer would have brought up some rather dubious items of interest.
I do however agree that Mr. Fay is entrenched in the community. It could be because of nearly 60 years of living here or over 50 years of combined public service or more fundraising for good causes that I can even count. Fortunately, none of those things can be sullied.