Dear Friends,
As you know, our town moderator, Robert Marrano has announced that he will not seek re-election to the post.
I am writing to you to announce my plans to seek election to the post and ask that you consider my candidacy when casting your vote in the April town wide election.
The position of moderator is critical to the operation of the town meeting in one primary area. The full and complete airing of each issue facing the legislative body rests on the commitment of the moderator to fully and fairly protect the interests of each individual town meeting member by insuring the members right to speak on the issues facing the membership.
I have demonstrated that commitment in my previous stint as moderator from 1981 through 1984. That period of time in Burlington's history is note worthy by virtue of the fact that it was the then that Proposition 2 ½ was being implemented throughout the Commonwealth. Uncertainty was the situation at the time as budgets had to be brought before town meeting all throughout the year to deal with an ever changing financial picture.
The fundamental lessons I learned during that period are still with me today. We provide the residents with good government when we endeavor to fully inform ourselves of all the points of view surrounding an issue. We guarantee that at town meeting when we seek to hear each voice in debate rather than restrict those voices. I pledge to serve the membership by making that my gospel.
Since leaving the post in 1984 I have brought that lesson to each position I have held in town government and each program I have brought to local television. In the position of moderator, I began my interest in local cable TV in 1981 with the program Issues in Burlington on Greater Boston Cablevision. It was the first all politics non partisan programming in Burlington and it focused on the challenges facing the Burlington taxpayer and included the people who were seeking solutions to those challenges.
Subsequent to my terms as moderator I served 7 years on the Board of Selectmen. One of the issues I devoted myself to was the renewal of our cable TV contract which resulted in the creation of Burlington Cable Access Television. The results of that contract enabled the town to have its own dedicated channels. Our goal in those negotiations was to provide a vehicle by which the people of Burlington could see and understand the operation of town government at every level. Town meeting has been televised in Burlington ever since.
The public programming I have written, produced or participated in on BCAT since that time has consistently strived to increase public awareness of critical issues and the people involved in our town. Around Town, Topics, Live Election Night Coverage, BCAT Candidate Debates, Editors Roundtable, and BNEWS Weekly all share the common theme of taking a closer look at each issue. When moderating any of this programming I have sought out differing points of view and treated those views with the respect that they deserve.
In closing I would simply add that I have sat in many chairs serving in a variety of different capacities at town meeting and have marveled at its beautiful simplicity as the cornerstone of New England's brand of democracy. I respect the institution of town meeting and would be both honored and dedicated to serving the membership and upholding its time honored principles.
Thank you